Department of Psychiatry
- Introduction of Department
- Facilities of Department
- Faculty Members
- Faculty Residents
- SOP files
- Syllabus details
- Competency based under Graduate
- Department Publications
- Departmental Activities
The Psychiatry department of Dr. R.P. Govt. Medical College, Kangra at Tanda (HP) caters almost eight district of Himachal Pradesh including patients from the neighbouring states also. The Mental Health services are offered 24x7x365 days in existing inpatient and outpatient settings by the existing single faculty of the department. Within each of these settings services are provided to promote recovery and individual potential with an emphasis on evidence based practices.
The inpatient settings include short hospitalization in existing 10 bed strength with optimum utilization of available vacant beds of neighbouring departments.
The outpatient component includes a wide range of specialized mental health settings, including, but not limited to, Consultation-liaison services, Special Drug De-addiction Clinic on every Tuesday, Tobacco cessation Clinic(TCC) on every Wednesday, Child Guidance Clinic on every Thursday and Psychosexual disorder Clinic on every Saturday. Psychology services ranging from counseling to IQ assessment are also provided.
Some of the most common mental health conditions treated in continuum of care by the Psychiatry department includes:
- Mood disorders, including major depressive disorder
- Substance Use disorders.
- Other anxiety disorders such as panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and specific phobias.
- Serious mental illnesses including bipolar disorder, Schizophrenia and other Psychotic disorders.
- 24 hours Emergencies services.
- Vision of department (short term and long term vision; mission and core values) 1-2 pages.
Psychiatry department is working to ensure humane care and effective treatment for all persons with mental illness, including substance use disorders. Our vision is a society that has available, accessible quality psychiatric diagnosis and treatment.
- Promote the highest quality care for individuals with mental illness, including substance use disorders, and their families.
- Promote psychiatric education and research.
- Advance and represent the profession of psychiatry.
- Best standards of clinical practice.
- Highest ethical standards of professional conduct.
- Prevention, access, care and sensitivity for patients and compassion for their families.
- Patient-focused treatment decisions.
- Scientifically established principles of treatment.
- Advocacy for patients.
- Lifelong professional learning.
- Collegial support.
- Respect for diverse views and pluralism within the field.
- Respect for other health professionals.
To promote the rights and best interests of patients and those actually or potentially making use of psychiatric services for mental illness, including substance use disorders.
- To improve access to and quality of psychiatric services.
- To improve research into all aspects of mental illness, including causes, prevention, and treatment of psychiatric disorders.
- To improve psychiatric education and training.
- To promote optimal conditions for practice and career satisfaction.
- To foster collaboration among all who are concerned with medical, psychological, socio-cultural and legal aspects of mental health and illness.
The psychiatry department provides psychological testing, biofeedback, electroconvulsive therapy, counselling and indoor facility available for patients. A Centre of Excellence in mental health is coming up at Dr RPGMC, Tanda which will have more advanced facilities and post graduate courses in Psychiatry and allied branches.
|#||Photo||Name||Qualifications||Designations||Email ID||Date of Joining||Awards|
|1||Dr.(Major) Sukhjit Singh||
MBBS, MD (Psychiatry)
|Professor and Headfirstname.lastname@example.org||07-10-2017||
Award of Appreciation for rendering outstanding services by the Hon’ble Health & Family Welfare Minister, Government of Himachal Pradesh Sh. Vipin Singh Parmar on the occasion of Doctor’s Day on 02.07.2018
|2||Dr. Pankaj Kanwar||
MBBS, MD (Psychiatry)
|#||Name||Qualification||Date of Joining|
|1||Dr. Vikesh Gupta||
MBBS, MD (Psychiatry)
|2||Dr. Anita Thakur||
MBBS, M.D (Psychiatry)
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/share/nginx/html/wp-content/themes/rpgmc-child/single-departments.php on line 463
|#||Name||Number of labs|
Competency based under graduate curriculum
Department Highlights (Past 2 Years)
Chauhan NS, Singh S. A queer case of Parry-Romberg syndrome with coexisting psychiatric ailment. Indian J Psychiatry2019,61:97-9.
Kanwar P, Sharma RC, Sharma DD, Kanwar N. A study of psychiatric co-morbidity among alcohol dependents. Int J Res Med Sci2017;5:4490-6.
Sharma RC, Sharma DD, Kanwar N, Kanwar P, Singh B, Singh M. Prevalence of depression and its associated factors among medical students: a study using beck depression inventory. Int J Res Med Sci 2017;5:5036-40
Sharma RC, Sharma DD, Kanwar N, Kanwar P, Manta S. Undergraduate nursing students’ attitude towards mental illness: across sectional study. Int J Res Med Sci 2018;6:275-8.
Kanwar P, Gupta J and Singh S (2020). Leprosy with Psychosis and Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome: A case report. Indian J Lepr. 92:49-51.
Gupta J, Kapoor D, Sood V, Singh S, Sharma N, Kanwar P. Depression prevalence, it's psychosocial and clinical predictors, in diabetes mellitus patients attending two health institutions of North India catering rural population. Indian J Psychiatry 2020, 62:566-71
Dr. Vikesh Gupta, Dr. Sukhjit Singh, Dr. Vineet Kumar, Dr. Pankaj Kanwar. Burnout during Covid-10 Pandemica among health care workers of a tertiary care Centre of Northern India. Global Journal for Research Analysis: September 2021; Volume-10; Issue-9: 30-32