Department of Biophysics
- Introduction of Department
- Facilities of Department
- Faculty Members
Biophysics is a molecular science which seeks to explain various biomedical processes in terms of molecular structures and properties of specific molecules. It uses various biophysical principles to describe the biomedical processes for the purpose of medical applications both in normal and diseased states. It is a vibrant interdisciplinary area with links to all the functional medical branches. The biological questions with which the biophysics is concerned are highly diverse. It is the potential of biophysics to describe that how the photons, odours , sound waves, flavours or touches are detected by the respective sense organs and converted into electrical signals that feed the brain with information about the external world. It explains, say for example, how a muscle convert the chemical energy of hydrolysis of ATP into mechanical force & movement. It is the biophysics which addresses structurally that how a single long DNA molecule unfolds and replicates with great precision or directs the production of proteins. The list is endless. Biophysics being a diverse field has specialized areas such as molecular & structural biophysics, radiation biophysics, cancer biophysics with imaging & radio-pharmaceuticals, theoretical & computational biophysics, biophysical techniques & mechanisms, membrane biophysics, biophysical proteomics & genomics etc. The faculty in biophysics often have doctoral & post doctoral work in these areas.
Our department is mainly involved in teaching the various biophysical principles involved in human system both in normal & diseased conditions. The faculty intends to start the applied research work towards patient care. The department. has two faculty members at a level of Professor (Dr. Rajeev Goel) and Assistant Professor ( Mrs. Richa Sood).
To make the Department a Centre of Excellence in Translational Health Research
- To start M.Sc and later on Ph.D/MD courses in Biophysics at par with AIIMS.
The deptt. presently does not have the laboratory infrastructure.
- A Fully Equipped state- of- the- art Bio-potential, Molecular & Structural Biophysics and Radiation Biophysics Labs are required for carrying out the research.
- Bio-potential lab will be an asset for demonstration of bio-potentials to undergraduates as well.
Radio-isotope Based Diagnostic Test:
- 14 C – Urea Breath Test can be established for the diagnosis of H.pylori
- Infection if provided with the infrastructure and staff for Radiation Biophysics Lab.
- Minimum of three faculty members with post doctoral experience.
- Two Senior Demonstrators ( having Ph.D/MD Biophysics)
- One Technical Officer.
- Three Senior Lab Technicians.
- Three Lab Assistants
Research Areas of Interest and Priority :
- Electromagnetic Field Induced Stem Cell Differentiation
- Proteomics & Structural Biophysics
- Photobiology & Imaging
- Gene Silencing
( The deptt. is interested to carry out the inter- departmental research activities and have equal interests in research on Nutraceuticals/ Herbal Medicine)
- The thrust will be to make the department a Centre of Excellence in a particular area of health research/technology depending upon the common interests of all the faculty members besides starting the M.Sc/Ph.D/MD programmes in Biophysics in future.
- Emphasis would be on focussing the research projects to have innovations having clinical impact.
- To develop the scientific bent of mind while teaching, inculcating moral values amongst students and to carry forward the legacy of our teachers & predecessors.
- The department mainly being a teaching dept. has a teaching room with visual aids.
- The dept. has a subscription to a few journals which are accessible to the students.
- The Bio-Potential lab will be developed for demonstration of Bio-Potential practicals once the equipment is received.
|#||Photo||Name||Qualifications||Designations||Email ID||Date of Joining||Awards|
|1||Dr. Rajeev Goel||Professor and Headfirstname.lastname@example.org||1-Feb-2001||
|2||Mrs. Richa Sood||Assistant Professor||Richa.email@example.com||22-Nov-1997|
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/share/nginx/html/wp-content/themes/rpgmc-child/single-departments.php on line 444
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/share/nginx/html/wp-content/themes/rpgmc-child/single-departments.php on line 463
The deptt. is involved in M.B.B.S. teaching.
|#||Name||Number of labs|
Competency based under graduate curriculum
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/share/nginx/html/wp-content/themes/rpgmc-child/single-departments.php on line 517