Department of Biophysics
- Introduction of Department
- Facilities of Department
- Faculty Members
- Department Publications
Biophysics is a molecular science which seeks to explain various biomedical processes in terms of molecular structures and properties of specific molecules. It uses various biophysical principles to describe the biomedical processes for the purpose of medical applications both in normal and diseased states. It is a vibrant interdisciplinary area with links to all the functional medical branches. The biological questions with which the biophysics is concerned are highly diverse. It is the potential of biophysics to describe that how the photons, odours , sound waves, flavours or touches are detected by the respective sense organs and converted into electrical signals that feed the brain with information about the external world. It explains, say for example, how a muscle convert the chemical energy of hydrolysis of ATP into mechanical force & movement. It is the biophysics which addresses structurally that how a single long DNA molecule unfolds and replicates with great precision or directs the production of proteins. The list is endless. Biophysics being a diverse field has specialized areas such as molecular & structural biophysics, radiation biophysics, cancer biophysics with imaging & radio-pharmaceuticals, theoretical & computational biophysics, biophysical techniques & mechanisms, membrane biophysics, biophysical proteomics & genomics etc. The faculty in biophysics often have doctoral & post doctoral work in these areas.
Our department is mainly involved in teaching the various biophysical principles involved in human system both in normal & diseased conditions. The faculty intends to start the applied research work towards patient care. The department. has two faculty members at a level of Professor (Dr. Rajeev Goel) and Assistant Professor ( Mrs. Richa Sood).
- To make the Department a Centre of Excellence in Translational Health Research
- To start M.Sc. and Ph.D./M.D. courses in Biophysics at par with AIIMS.
Future Labs Development:
- A Fully Equipped state-of-the-art Bio-potential, Molecular & Structural Biophysics, and Radiation Biophysics Labs
Research Areas of Interest and Priority :
- Electromagnetic Field-Induced Stem Cell Differentiation
- Proteomics & Structural Biophysics
- Photobiology & Imaging
- Gene Silencing
- Inter-departmental research activities
- To make the department a Centre of Excellence in Translational Health Research/ Technology
- Starting M.Sc./Ph.D./M.D. programs in Biophysics
- To develop the scientific bent of mind amongst medical students and to carry forward the legacy of our teachers & predecessors.
- The department mainly being a teaching dept. has a teaching room with visual aids.
- The dept. has a subscription to a few journals which are accessible to the students.
- The Bio-Potential lab will be developed for demonstration of Bio-Potential practicals once the equipment is received.
|#||Photo||Name||Qualifications||Designations||Email ID||Date of Joining||Awards|
|1||Dr. Rajeev Goel||Professor and Heademail@example.com||1-Feb-2001||
|2||Mrs. Richa Sood||Assistant Professor||Richa.firstname.lastname@example.org||22-Nov-1997|
The deptt. is involved in M.B.B.S. teaching.
|#||Name||Number of labs|
Competency based under graduate curriculum
Department Highlights (Past 3 Years)
Bhagat Chand, Mukesh Kumar, Muninder Kumar, Rajeev Goel . Biomarkers in Breast Cancer: A Brief Review. International Jl. of Research and Analytical Reviews. 2019;6(1)647-652
Rajeev Goel, Tushar Saini, Binny Mahendru. Therapeutic Potential of Seaweeds. International Jl. of Basic & Clinical Pharmacology.2021;10(5)491-495
Rajeev Goel. 2-deoxy- D-Glucose: From Diagnostics to Therapeutics. International Jl. of Basic & Clinical Pharmacology.2021;10(6)732-737
Rajeev Goel, Binny Mahendru,Tushar Saini. Marine Natural Products: The New Generation of Pharmacotherapeutics. International Jl. of Basic & Clinical Pharmacology.2021;10(7)876-885
Conference Presentation: Deepak Kumar, Rajeev Goel, Vijay Arora. Role of Omics in Forensic Medicine. Emerging Trends in Forensic Sciences. 1stInternational e –Conference(IASR).30-31Jan,2021.P39.
PROJECTS: Identifying Potential Blood Markers for Post Mortem Interval by Using GC-MS. Rajeev Goel, Vijay Arora. (Interdisciplinary Research Project with the Deptt. of Forensic Medicine; Submitted for Intramural Research Grant)
PROJECTS: The Role of Metabolomics in Breast Carcinoma Prognosis: Feasibility and Implication Study. Rajeev Goel, Muninder Negi, Bhagat Chand. (Interdisciplinary Research Project with the Deptt. of Radiotherapy; Submitted for Intramural Research Grant)